Tuesday 19 December 2023

Biopsy

Today was the day they started snipping bits off me.

The day started with a long shower using the betadine, nasty smelly stuff that it is. The undercarriage and adjacent  parts getting particular attention to give the urologist a clean work surface (understandably).

We arrived at the clinic at 11:15 for an 11:30 intervention. After wending our way to what we hoped was the correct waiting room we sat and waited. The problem with getting to an appointment early is that it allows time for the stress levels to rise.

After a while the nurses showed me to a nice private cubical and allowed me to remove my trousers and underpants and wrap a (too small) towel around my waist to preserve decency. I was then led to what I assume was a gynecologist's bench. I sat on the bench, the towel was removed, and my legs placed in the stirrups.

So much for preserving decency.

The bench was raised so my bum was at eye level to someone who was seated, the the urologist arrived. He said he was going to administer a local anaesthetic (more stuff stuck up my bum) but did I want nitrous oxide as well. Damn right I did.

I don't know what a bee sting on the inside of your bum is like, but I can guess. Twelve times.

Afterwards he asked how it was, and I told him I have felt more dignified. I was then allowed to dress (in private, because a bloke might be shy), given a list of instructions, and sent home.

Now it's not painful, but uncomfortable. I know they have to warn you about things that may happen, but it's always scary when they start talking about the possibility of fever and immediate antibiotic injections. My next appointment is 11 January, so I guess that's when I get the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment